The Aliens are Constantly Tracking Me

 Hey everyone, it has come to my attention (thanks to Bleeder constantly reminding me) that a lot of dog custodians are inquiring about tracking their dogs.

Frankly I think it's a bit intrusive, but no more intrusive that Toast and Bleeder's annoying Alexa wiretap in the house that only gets asked what packages are arriving, or what the weather is and randomly butts into conversations or plays random horrible music.

I digress. Toast did extensive research into the various and sundry tracking devices, created an Excel spreadsheet, did a PowerPoint presentation (that Bleeder totally slept through), and decided on the Fi Smart Dog Collar.

Why this one and not that one? Well, because it's really cool

The cheaper "tag" thing relies on strangers with iPhones to turn on tag tracking to report your location if you get out of eyeshot of your humans. Frankly, those tag things are turning into a PR nightmare as more and more people are finding them hidden in their coats and cars and good lord who wants that?

Other trackers rely on batteries that don't last very long and are a pain to charge/change batteries, plus aren't as accurate.

So, this is not a gratuitous looking for freebies post on the Fi, it just works well, has some cool bonuses, and looks stunning around my neck. I will try to explain how it works and why it is cool, in common dong lingo.

First, here is how it works. In a nutshell (from a squirrel that will be mine soon if it doesn't stay off my deck), the collar signal boings off satellites, then the collar sends a signal to a cell tower, which boings to your phone. It also has a "home base" which is the charger, that pings your collar and can detect when you've left your "area", thus giving your humans an as it happens notification as you dig under your fence and run like the wind.

The battery lasts a LOT longer than others, but does require charging. Since I am rendered nude when I'm in my crate, it gets plopped on the charger while I languish with my kong, chew bone in my crate.

You get the Fi, a collar, and a charger. The collars are very nice, but I'll warn you, the two that I've had (outgrew my first) have stained my furs, so if you have a very picky owner that throws you out on the show circuit, that might not be cool with them, but the stain gets removed with sufficient dirt and rain... probably something you snooty show dogs never experience... you should... go roll in a dead thing now, you'll thank me later.

The app is really cool, but is kind of annoying to me. It has a step tracker. Hoo boy, Toast and Bleeder are really into making sure I get my steps in and check it constantly to make sure I'm moving. It tracks my sleep, naps, and exercise. It also rates me against other dogs, other huskies, other puppies my age, dogs in my state, and dogs in my area. No pressure there at all. Currently I'm #53 of all dogs in Baltimore, and #769 in all dogs in Maryland. There is a live view, you can post pictures of yourself, and interact with other pups. If I escape, it'll show Bleeder and Toast a map of where I'm at, within 7 ft. and tracking my every move, and my Fi device flashes red to tell people that I'm gallivanting without supervision. Notification is instantaneous upon leaving my little area. It has, once or twice, notified them that I've left the yard, causing them to sprint out back where I'm lounging on the deck totally oblivious.

Want stories... you can read them here, and yep... most of them are husky owners.

So, yes, you will need to pay a monthly cell phone subscription fee for the Fi device... because that's how it works, it's like my own little phone, except I can't post adorable Instagram pictures of me, I still have to rely on that lazy Bleeder, and the ones she does post... eeesh, come ON!

The collars are VERY sturdy as well, and has a clippy thing for your dog tags, and a sturdy metal buckle.

Heavy duty clippy clip thing

Bleeder woke me up from a nap to take this... seriously?



They have different types of stylish collars you can purchase if you don't like the one that comes with the kit. I have no first hand knowledge as to whether they'll stain your furs or not.

Bleeder and Toast REALLY like the peace of mind of this system. When we go for walks it'll track your walk and display a little map of where you've gone. It'll tell you that you left with your human, and notify your family members that you've left the house with one of your humans (as opposed to flinging yourself over the fence after that annoying squirrel that taunts you), but it keeps everyone notified of your whereabouts. 

If you do decide to get one, check with Bleeder first, as they have a code to give you to get you and me some freebies and stuff for the referral. 

Tell them Casey sent you... they probably won't know who I am, but you should tell them because everyone needs to know who I am.

Casey.



Comments